INVESTIGATIVE HEARINGS ON JOB RACKETEERING IN MINISTRIES DEPARTMENT AND AGENCIES
By Safiya Abdulrahim Dabban
In continuation of the investigative hearing by the house of Representatives adhoc committee, on job racketeering in Ministries Departments and Agencies of government, victims of job racketeering have recounted their ordeal to the committee.
Mr Abdulmalik Ahmed and Ali Yaro both victims of job racketeering in the Federal Character Commission (FCC) said they paid N1 million and N2 million respectively for job placement in the commission.
Ahmed, an indigene of Adamawa state said he met the driver of the Commissioner, representing Taraba, Mr Yisha’u Gambo who promised to get him a job in FCC on the condition that he paid the sum of N1 million.
He however said he refused to pay the money because Yisha’u was an ordinary driver, adding that it was then he was introduced to the former IPPIS desk officer in the commission Mr Haruna Kolo.
“I transfered N1 million through Haruna Kolo’s account, we initially agreed on N1.5million with Gambo, a driver to the Commissioner, representing Taraba.”
“The Head of Human Resources in FCC confirmed to us that our appointments were genuine before they cleverly took it from us. I was engaged for two years before I was disengaged without posting.”
Ahmed said 27 of them were issued appointment letters having paid the requested money, adding that in spite the fact that appointment letters were issued, they were not posted to any designated MDA.
He said contrary to information by FCC that there was no recruitment since 2017, there was recruitment in 2021 and all the commissioners had a hand in the recruitments.
Ahmed appealed to the committee to help get his job back, adding that he was not satisfied with receiving salary without doing the required job.
On the other hand, Mr Ali Yaro , another victim from Borno State said he was made to pay N2 million to secure a job at FCC.
He said Kolo and Badamasi both told him that he would get his appointment letter in January, adding that he was captured on IPPIS on August 5th 2021 but never got placement.
In an emotion laden speech, Yaro said being a Borno indigene he could have join the dreaded Boko Haram but for the love he has for the country.
“I graduated 11 years ago, and I had a chance to become Boko Haram but I refused because I want to be a good citizen.
“I paid N2 million to Badamasi Jalo’s account, another victim but acting as agent to collect money for Kolo.
The Chairman of the committee Yussuf Gagdi said the testimonies from the duo should encouraged all Nigerians who had been shortchanged of their tax payers money.
Gagdi however re-invited Kolo to again appear before the committee on Aug 9 by 10 a. m, adding that the driver to Taraba Commissioner and the Secretary most also appear.
